How might you detect a child is struggling to be mentally well?
- Child reports on social networking sites they are sad.
- Child has told you of plans to hurt themselves.
- Child withdraws from activities they used to be excited about doing.
- Child has a change in attendance or grades.
- Child becomes easily angered or withdrawn.
- Child appears to be easily distracted and it is out of character for the child.
- Suspected substance use.
- Mood swings that start causing stress in their personal relationships.
- Wearing long sleeve shirts when it is hot outside may be an attempt to cover self harm.
Learn about the various mental health challenges facing college students, the support and counseling resources available to them, and practical measures and coping strategies to help students overcome behavioral, emotional, and psychological obstacles.
For more detailed information on signs/symptoms by disorder, please visit: http://www.mentalhealth.gov/index.html
Facts about mental illness in children.